MAMMA MIA! THE MUSICAL
Directed by Doug Powers-Black
Music Directed by Diane Scott
Sunday, April 14, 7:00 to 9:00pm
Monday, April 15, 7:00 to 9:00pm
Greenspace Center, 815 Market St, Lewisburg
RiverStage Community Theatre will be holding auditions for the musical MAMMA MIA! in April. Auditions are open to any singers, dancers and actors age 15 and up, and will be held for two nights at Greenspace Center in Lewisburg, from 7:00 to 9:00 p.m. on Sunday, April 14 and Monday, April 15. The show will be performed the weekends of June 21-22 and June 28-30 at the same location.
MAMMA MIA! is a fun, catchy romp of a “jukebox musical,” based on the songs of ABBA and named after the group’s 1975 chart-topper. On a small Greek island, Sophie dreams of a perfect wedding — one which includes her father giving her away. The problem? Sophie doesn’t know who he is! Her mother Donna, the former lead singer of a 1980’s pop group, refuses to talk about the past, so Sophie decides to take matters into her own hands. Sneaking a peek in her mother’s old diaries, she discovers three possible fathers: Sam, Bill, and Harry. She secretly invites all three to the wedding, convinced that she’ll know her father when she sees him. But when all three turn up, it may not be as clear as she thought! Including a cavalcade of sing-along hits such as “Super Trouper,” “Lay All Your Love on Me,” “Dancing Queen,” “Thank You for the Music,” “Money, Money, Money,” and so many more, Mamma Mia! has become a worldwide sensation that has audiences everywhere dancing.
The casting is flexible and requires teens (we recommend ages 15 and up) and adults of all experience levels for singers AND dancers. Auditioners can drop in for any portion of either audition session, and should bring a short Broadway-style song to sing if they are interested in a singing role, and/or wear comfortable clothing and shoes (no flip-flops, please) for a short dance audition, and bring calendars to indicate any conflicts with potential rehearsal dates. For more details, visit our website or contact email@example.com.
LIST OF CHARACTERS
- Donna, Female, 35-45: Sophie’s mother, owner of the hotel Villa Donna.
- Sophie, Female, 18-25: A very special young woman who is determined to find the romance and happiness she feels eluded her mother. Has an adventurous spirit even though she pursues a conventional marriage.
- Tanya, Female, 35-45: A former singer in the “Dynamos.” Rich, sophisticated, acerbic, funny, and witty.
- Rosie, Female, 35-45: Also a former singer in the “Dynamos” who now writes for and runs a feminist press. She’s confident, strong, and funny on the outside but shy underneath. Kooky and fun, good comic actress, a bit of a clown.
- Lisa, Female, 18-25: Sophie’s friend who arrives to be a bridesmaid. Very energetic and kooky.
- Ali, Female, 18-25: Sophie’s friend. Impulsive and fun. Should contrast to Lisa and Sophie.
- Sam, Male, 35-45: May be Sophie’s father. Left Donna 20 years ago because he was engaged to another woman. Charming, successful architect.
- Harry, Male, 35-45: May be Sophie’s father. British financier, wealthy, buttoned-up, and conservative but trying to reconnect with his freer, youthful self. Must do a very convincing English accent.
- Bill, Male, 35-45: May be Sophie’s father. A travel writer with no possessions or strings. Good-natured, always ready for adventure.
- Sky, Male, 24-30: Sophie’s fiancé. Athletic, attractive – was a successful businessman. Left to help Donna with her taverna and marry Sophie.
- Pepper, Male, 20-29: Sky’s friend. Helps run the hotel. Charming, loves women, always flirting. Acrobatic skills a plus.
- Eddie, Male, 20-29: Another friend of Sky and hotel worker. Laid-back, easy- going.
- Ensemble: Males & Females: Consists of the Islanders, those who work at Donna’s, Wedding-Guests, and more!
And don’t forget that you can receive email updates about all our upcoming auditions and shows by joining our mailing list by using our Contact Us form!